Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Today is the first day of school for most students in Tennessee. For the past 3 years I nervously arrived at school early to make sure everything was ready for my new little ones. Everything from morning work and crayons on their desks, parent information cards and packets ready to hand out, and the perfect book to read to break the ice. (“First Day Jitters” is the best!) Oh, and Play-Doh! I made it my tradition to let the kids play with Play-Doh in the morning as I frantically tried to meet the parents and get them to fill out contact info… which became VERY necessary to have throughout the year. Can I get an “amen” from all my teacher friends? 

Nothing is quite like day one. It is probably the quietest day of school in the whole year. I learned after my first year of teaching to appreciate the uniqueness of the first day. Everything changes from that day on. Those kids, who start off as awkward strangers, become the most precious, loved and talked about people in my life. I always wonder how I’m going to love another group of kids. For the first month or so, all I do is compare them to my previous class. It always amazes me when all of the sudden my conversations with friends shift from “how am I going to love this class?” to “oh how I love _______, listen to what happened at school today!”

Without fail, my heart grows. My love increases. The new group become “my kids”, just as the previous class did, and the one before that too. 


Today, there is a huge void in my heart. It's not the first day of school for me. It's the first day of a different season. It takes seasons like this to bring perspective and to realize exactly what God has wired me for. I eagerly await the first day of grad classes for ME at Vanderbilt. My “kids” are my motivation and bringing Glory to God is my purpose. As I step out in faith into what has proven to be one of the hardest seasons of my life, I think about those little faces and future faces of all the kids that will one day be “my kids” and I run the race with perseverance! I’m asking the Lord to “surprise me” as I lean into the discomfort of change and fear of the unknown. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 a skittle for you. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.