Pages

Tuesday, April 4, 2017


In walks student “A” already distraught and worked up from whatever happened at home or on the way to school. Tears flowing and unable to even tell me what’s going on. In the meantime I’m thinking, “I need to prepare all PowerPoints for the day, take attendance, monitor breakfast in the classroom… oh did I remember to email _____ back? Why is my classroom phone ringing at 7:45am? Oh you need help with your morning math challenge because you want to win the prize? I don’t have time.”

In walks student “B”. Oh Lord. No medicine today. I can already tell. Mean looks, mean words… just too many words. STOP. Bouncing off the walls. A million things out on his desk. STOP. Please STOP.

In walks student “C”. But I didn’t notice. This student blends in. Compliant, quiet, insecure.

Then the guilt floods in. Why did I just notice student “C”. I marked her absent, but she’s actually here. Did I even look her in the eyes and say “Good Morning”? How hard is that? Why didn’t I notice? I’m the worst teacher ever.

Student “A”… what do I do? I don’t have time to sit there and wait for her to tell me what’s going on. Think on my feet… “Can you write down what’s bothering you? Then I’ll write you a note back!” Good. That one’s taken care of. (Thank God she knows how to write! Yay for teaching 2nd grade!)

Student “B”…what do I do? Pencils. Of course. “Hey sweetheart, please sharpen ALL of the pencils.” Perfect. Now that one’s taken care of.

Student “C”… what do I do? Walk over, squat down and look her in the eyes. “I am SO glad you’re at school today! Our class wouldn’t be complete without you.”

Now it’s 7:55 and only 10 minutes of the day has gone by. Only 6 hours and 50 minutes left. Oh, and 18 other students with their own unique personalities and needs. I’ll spare you the details of students D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U.

Why are people crazy enough to do this job? I’m actually not sure. But for whatever reason, I do it and somehow I love it.

Today while driving one of my students to the Community Center after tutoring she asked me if she was my favorite student. Of course I explained how each and every one of my students is unique and it would be impossible to choose a favorite. “We need everyone to make our class awesome!”

It got me thinking about how we should treat the people around us. What would the world be like if we treated everyone like they are our favorite? Can you imagine going into the grocery store and having an employee notice you and make you feel like you are the only customer in the entire store? What about when you’re with your family? What if your mom, dad, brother or sister paid such careful attention to you, making you feel like the favorite?

Whether all these thoughts make sense together or not, I’m not sure. What I do know is that there sure are a lot of things that make us feel stressed and overwhelmed each day. Regardless of that, the most important thing is the people we are around. Not the to-do list, not the cleaning, not the errands. Not all those things running through your head constantly.

The people. The people are the most important.

Who are your people? Mine are 21 eight-year-olds for the majority of my week. 

Think about who your people are. 


(Then let go of all the things you didn’t accomplish today and let tomorrow be a new day. A fresh start. Another day to know and be known by the people around you.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 a skittle for you. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.