Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

All throughout college I swore I would never be "that teacher". The one  who uses candy as bribery or reward. I would confidently profess that bribery was not going to be necessary because I was going to be THAT good. I figured that I would be able to instill such passion for learning that the intrinsic reward would be enough for my little ones to work with vigor.

That all changed on August 11, 2011 as my 12 young minds walked into room 120 (my classroom).

I quickly realized many of them longed to still be in kindergarten where you get to have nap time, snack time, ABC's and 1,2,3's

Before I go on, I need to inform that my kids are not like most 1st graders. They've grown up in the projects, in poverty, around more crime than you and I will see in our entire lives. Their upbringing is the antithesis of mine. I'll post about that some other time. The point: I had no idea how to relate to them and how to motivate...... Until I learned the power of a Skittle.

If you didn't already know, Skittles can be purchased in bulk: 41 ounce bag!

This is how it works: Sit quietly, you get a Skittle. Raise your hand before you speak, you get a Skittle. Report kindness, be kind, use good manners, you get a Skittle. Walk properly in the hallway, you get a Skittle. Don't yell, kick, punch or cuss, and you get a Skittle....
Ok- I think you get it.

Skittles have the power to encourage, reward, motivate and inspire.

I pray that this blog is "A skittle for you".

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Simply beautiful! Love these stories. Such an inspiration!
~Kathryn Mark
www.homeschoolbliss.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Plus,the constant source of candy means they can focusnon their lessons! ;) I love your blog, your heart for your students and how you bring Jesus into their lives. I think you have earned a bunch of Skittles!!!!

Anonymous said...

I use M&Ms :) One works (almost) every time! I love reading your posts. Good luck with everything!!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 a skittle for you. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.