Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011


A typical day for me consists of waking up at 5:30am, leaving for school at 6:30am, getting there at 7am.. kids come in at 7:45… I teach, discipline, laugh… all the usual things. The kids tell me stuff about their lives and I tell them about mine. If I’m lucky, no one will go to the principal’s office. Then off they go at 3:45pm.

Sometimes the kids will tell me very serious things about their lives. One of my students told me their dad died a few years ago. Another morning one of the kids told me she had a dream that I got shot. Not exactly what you want to hear at 8am- or ever!

But nothing has quite affected me as what “V” said to me this morning. It was the usual type of morning. The students were working on morning work as I took attendance, distributed pencils, and strolled around the room to say hi to each student. He called to me and said “Ms. Thomson, does everyone get out of jail on Christmas?” Such an odd question. My initial response was going to be “no” and then try to explain how jail works… but I felt a nudge on the inside to be extra careful with this one.

I decided to ask why he asked that questions and if he knows anyone in jail. He said “yes, my daddy.” Wow. Wasn’t ready for that one. He was hopeful that somehow, on Christmas, everyone got a “get out of jail free” card.

I couldn’t shake it today. V’s question echoed in my head all day. I can’t even imagine what it’s like to be 6 years old and to know your dad is in jail and that he probably wont be home for Christmas.

In every moment, of every day, I have the most precious responsibility: to show to my kids the unending, never failing love of a heavenly father who will NEVER let them down. In fact, he’s rescued each one of us from our own jail cells. He’s given us a “get out of jail free” card by sending his son Jesus.

Please pray for my sweet “Lil V”. That he gets a glimpse of Jesus.

Also, take a moment to thank God that you’ve been offered a “get out of jail free” card which gives you hope for the days to come. 

1 comments:

Thelma said...

The world needs more educators like you. :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 a skittle for you. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.