Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Like any first year teacher, when I heard that our first field trip was coming up I got very scared. Really.  I know field trips are supposed to be fun, but the thought of taking my 12 out anywhere was unnerving. We walked from the school 2 blocks to the train station. Thomas the Train was there. We got to ride the train and get a picture with Thomas.

We all piled onto the train. The kids were loving the ride! Their little eyes peered out the windows and i could see the world becoming a bigger, more intricate place for each of them. As I listened to them, I realized that this trip was revealing so much about their worldview.

The train track went right along the Cumberland River. T said, "Ms. Thomson is that the ocean?" "No baby, that's just a river", I replied back. "Are there sharks in there?" V chimed in, "YES! 9 sharks!" I laughed and said no there aren't sharks. T kept asking questions.. "what would happen if our train fell in the water? Would we die? Would the sharks eat us? Are you sure the train cant fall in there? What is an ocean?"

We also passed an area where some homeless people lived and one of my kids said "Hey look Ms Thomson. People are camping!" I had a good laughed after that one!

Here's what I learned, my kids have spent their entire lives in a 2 block radius. We were so close to their homes, yet, it was as if we were in a foreign country. Their worldview is so limited. Why? Because they've never left their neighborhood. My heart broke. All I wanted to do is pile the kids in a big bus and drive them all over the country showing them all the wonderful places.

As a teacher, I realize the importance of my kids leaving their neighborhood, experiencing the world. The more they experience, the more they learn. The more they learn, the greater the chance is for them to leave the projects.

As a Christian, I also see the importance of "leaving the neighborhood".

First, to see the beauty of Gods creation.
Second, to see the brokenness that has resulted from sin.
Third, to be burdened to do something about the broken world.

Most importantly for me, as I leave my neighborhood, literally because I'm in Toronto this week, my eyes are opened. I have two choices: stay in my comfortable neighborhood in Nashville, TN or move to Toronto.

I don't want to think a river is an ocean....

I'll leave it at that.

Are you afraid to leave your neighborhood? Should you be considering moving somewhere? What rivers have you been thinking are oceans? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 a skittle for you. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.