Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

BUT



In first grade the kids have to learn 220 sight words. They are high frequency words that are typically hard to sound out. Hence the name "sight words". They pretty much have to memorize most of them. There are 11 lists of 20 words. Most of my kids have been zipping through the words! I can't even believe how much they are learning! They are SPONGES.

But not Lil Vic. He barely knows his letters and sounds. I have been so burdened for this child for weeks. I lay in bed at night and think about how I'm going to teach him to read. I come up with clever ideas (usually when I'm trying to fall asleep at night) and then I try them out the next day. It is very draining. If this child doesn't learn to read this year his chances for success in the future are slim to none. There is very little support from anyone in my school as far as getting him specialized help. It is my RESPONSIBILITY to teach him.

For most of my kids I want them to learn a list of the 20 words in about 2-3 weeks. I realized this goal is too lofty for Lil V. His new goal is 1-2 WORDS per week.

AND BOY DID WE MEET THIS GOAL! Today, without help, he was able to use letter tiles to make the word "but". I nearly jumped out of my seat when he did it! He felt so proud and I praised him like crazy. To top it off, he completed a worksheet where he had to look at 12 different pictures and choose which letter was the beginning sound for each one. He got every one correct! Right in from of him I wrote a big "100" and he then walked around the room and showed his classmates! He was so proud of himself and my other kids praised his good work! It was a proud teacher moment for sure.

Today was one of those days when I was able to see my hard work pay off, even if it was just having him make the word "but". "But" not this one is what I want to say! Not this child. He wont fail. He wont end up on drugs or in jail like his parents.

Today's word is "but". What are you saying "but" to today?

Romans 5:3-4  "Not only so, BUT we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

1 comments:

Bert Thomson said...

I know that I'm your dad, BUT this is very inspiring. Well done honey!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 a skittle for you. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.