Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

I'm thankful today.

I was trying to teach my kids to verbalize what they are thankful for. We made a list.

After we talked about what being thankful means, they asked me what I was thankful for. I told them that this year I am MOST thankful for each of them. I went on and on about all the things I love about them and why I am happy they are in my life. They were grinning from ear to ear!

Here are a few things my kids have taught me this year:

I am not as kind, gracious or compassionate as I thought I was. 

It's hard to be loving at ALL times. 

I'm not good at giving people a clean slate each day.

It's okay when things don't go according to plan. 


I need to be willing to forgive my kids for their shortcomings, even when they will repeat the offense daily. 

It's important to take time to explain and teach things that aren't part of the curriculum- like about kindness, sharing, forgiving. 


Sometimes I have to be willing to stop what I'm doing to hold and love on my kids when they are upset.


In the Bible, the process of refining metals in fire is used as a metaphor for spiritual purification. For the past few months I've felt like I've been in a furnace. I feel like everything evil in me is being brought to the surface. Being in a room with very needy, troubled 6 years olds eight hours a day, five days a week really has the power to bring out the worst in you. What's most amazing is that I am so grateful for this process. As I teach my kids, I am learning equally as much. That is why i am thankful today. That God loves me enough to refine me and to use me to impact my 13.





2 comments:

Reba said...

So good, Catherine! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jay Lee said...

Thanks for sharing Catherine!!!! God is using you!!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 a skittle for you. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.