Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011


As most of you know, Monday was Halloween. I’ve never been a huge fan of this Holiday. Mostly because I don’t like scary things. And because I think the decorations are ugly.

Here’s what happened on Monday: I left work around 5:15pm. As I drove past the housing projects my kids live in, there were kids everywhere! They were trick-or-treating in broad daylight. (Also, there were police cars circling the neighborhood.)

Then I went home to my job of handing out candy to kids in my neighborhood.

Each time the doorbell rang, I opened the door and saw kids in fancy costumes being chauffeured to each house by their parents driving golf carts. 

It was dark, there were no cops, AND they were riding in golf carts instead of walking!

It really messed me up.


It’s not fair that my kids live in such a dangerous environment where they aren’t even safe outside during the day.

It’s also not fair for the kids in my neighborhood to think that it’s normal to trick-or-treat with a personal golf cart chauffeur.


To both a disservice is being done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Both sets of kids need about six months in the mountains at a camp where they can do fun things, learn tough skills and most of all learn how to take care of themselves while enjoying the freedom responsibility and safety bring. I agree with everything you wrote!

Bert Thomson said...

Your work in the inner city keeps me grounded in the real world and makes it easier for me to respond to the sacrifices that God calls me to.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 a skittle for you. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.